- Potatoes were first grown about 8000 years ago in South America. They were transferred to Europe through the Spanish Conquistadors.
- Potatoes are the fourth most produced crop in the world - after wheat, corn and rice.
- There are currently about 100 varieties of edible potatoes.
- Potatoes are a very good source of Vitamin B6 and a good source of potassium, copper, vitamin C, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, dietary fiber and pantothenic acid.
- Potatoes contain almost every single nutrient a human needs to survive.
- Potatoes have a high glycemic index (GI).
- Potatoes are a great source of fiber.
- Sweet potatoes are root vegetables and are loosely related to the potatoes.
- Potatoes are used to brew alcoholic beverages such as vodka.
- Potatoes should be stored above 4°C (39°F) as potato starch converts to sugar and changes taste below that temperature.